V-D in Great '08
Life is what's happening when you're making other plans, or out with semi-alcoholic friends wearing red feather boas, as was the case last night. So, this, then, is my annual post on Valentine's Day.
Earlier this week I sorted through the stack of papers I've hauled from apartment to apartment like the magpie I am, discovering this 2006 blog post from an actor I once seen perform a benefit show in Minneapolis for Hurricane Katrina. I'd felt so strongly connected to it that I'd printed it out. The following is what touched me the most.
We see ourselves under a microscope that magnifies only the flaw, only the trivial imperfections but when viewed at 100x power they do not seem so very small. They dominate the canvas. And then someone walks in the door and we find our other microscope, the one that is calibrated just as perfectly wrong but the filters are 180 degrees different. At 100x we see the best of that person, the boy in the doorway, the girl on the other side of the pillow and because of that skewed vision rationalize and trivialize the cracks in the facade.
And here is the post in its entirety.
Labels: Chicago
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home