Girls' Guide to the World Cup
Correspondence between me (in Chicago) and my friend (studying in London). Of interest only to those following the World Cup, who will no doubt be horrified with what we're concerned about.
On
Isn't Rooney UGLY?!? And it kind of looks like Beckham's thinning on top. I was complaining he wasn't doing anything (they kept showing Lampard ALL THE TIME), and Ilina explained he's known for assists------and 2 seconds later there's Crouch scoring with a ball from Beckham!
Can I just say that:
a.) Michael Owen is gooooooooooooorgeous, and I love that he's married to his childhood sweetheart & has a daughter (and how the Welsh say he's Welsh and the English say he's English)
b.) Steven Gerrard is hot. As is Lampard.
c.) I'm looking up everyone's names here:
Pretty nice shot of Owen. Mmmmmm. Thankfully not one of nasty ol' Chav Rooney!
OMG! Just looked at Gerrard, whom I thought was like 30, and he was born in 1980!!!! I feel soooooooo old. UGH!
Also, Crouch REALLY needs to put on some weight. He looks gaunt to the point of being skeletal.
That is all. Am watching
Love,
T.
On
F
beckham - so since he's capt, not only does he get to wear that armband that looks like a blood pressure gauge thingy, the BBC also do quick post-game interview w/him. man, i wish i never heard his voice, it's def. not as good sounding as he is good-looking. it's east
i LOVE & ADORE michael owen. he's just f'n GORGEOUS. and w/a last name like owen, he's probably of welsh descent...but born in
lampard plays for
crouch reminds me of nick smith - that 7fter that was on the UI bball team. awkward mover, so skinny that he looks like he's gonna break. crouch did the robot dance after they played hungary & now it's the biggest trend, except he said he's not gonna do it unless they win it all.
i have a theory as to why some players look older than they actually are. unlike girls, many men don't care or know about wrinkles & how to prevent them & probably don't slather on SPF15 as religiously as you & i do. i see them smile & while some of them are lovely, i think, wow, those are some major crow's feet! beckham's the only one i could imagine getting botox, hahah.
i want, i NEED the
love,
E
PS - my friend julie & i decided that sven-goran erikkson (the swedish man who coaches the english team) is a combination of garth algar from
So now you know what girls really think when they watch the football. As for me, I'm attempting to get into soccer. Not only did I see Australia play Brazil, I watched England play last Wednesday, and I've been barraging a soccer-mad acquaintance with questions like "what's a yellow card?" and "why don't they play shirts v. skins?". He loves me. Saturday morning, I'm going to see England (attempt to) beat Portugal. Having just bought a cute England shirt at a British pub in Minneapolis, I shall fit right in at the pub I'm going to, which will no doubt be jam-packed with Brits.
Now to practice: COME ON, ENGLAND!
Labels: Chicago
6 Comments:
That's so funny.
I have been able to watch a few of the games at some pubs in town. It is a completely new experience watching football in England - lots of singing, yelling, and of course, drinking throughout.
One of the small, weird pubs I have been going to actually buys everyone in the place a drink when England wins - brilliant!
I'm glad someone else found the humor in it. Besides my English and Swiss friends (hi, Ben & Stephan!) I don't know of anyone else who would appreciate this post. Thought I'd put it up anyway!
Now, where to watch tomorrow's match...there are no free pints here in Chicago!
I am so glad that a footballer's ability to play well is not based on their looks. Rooney is a
#$%^&*ing awesome player and just cause he looks a little off... I just think that's biased. :P
I knew true football fans would be horrified by our talking about thinning hair and wrinkles on the soccer players--but I did find our email exchange rather funny. Amazing how we didn't once talk about the actual game, eh?
Ilina, Gina & I will be at Small Bar tomorrow to watch the footie. See you there!
ahem. i would like to defend myself in that i did attempt to educate myself on the game & its players, via ussoccer.com, espn, bbc.co.uk, & good old wikipedia. i just enjoy analyzing the game on all levels. that is all :)
esther
Thanks for the invite. I'm around in the city, but think I'll watch the fireworks from my back deck (if they're visible), then head to a nightclub. Nothing beats the fireworks in Shirland...
Post a Comment
<< Home