Tuesday, July 25

Maxims & Musings

Usually writing in my journal every night, I’ve only written thrice in the past month. Moving in to a new place where every night’s a slumber party has something to do with it, but in a large part I haven’t much felt like writing recently—hence the dearth of blog posts. With that in mind, here are some disjointed thoughts as I wait for work to finish and my day to begin.


-----
According to a blurb in today’s newspaper, I make less money than the average high school graduate, and half of the average person with a college degree. In no small way, I think this is the defining reason I seek out free or inexpensive things to do in the city. Some friends find me amusingly obsessive in my quest for goody bags and free drinks, but I simply cannot afford to drop $100 a night (or even a weekend) going out. Perhaps someday when I have a real job this will change, but I’d like to think not; I’d much prefer saving my money for my two great loves, travel and shopping.

-----
My three roommates and I are all NFs. Two ENFJs, an INFP and an ENFP. The very fact that we know our Myers-Briggs Types no doubt shows our propensities for thinking about people and their relationships. Those of you familiar with your own type (or wish to find it out now by taking a test) may find the following interesting:

  • 2/3 of males are Thinkers; 2/3 of females are Feelers
  • In the U.S., extroverts outnumber introverts 3 to 1 [source]
  • When seeking companionship that is not romantic, ENFJs will be drawn to other Feelers who have similar values and ideas. Since they live in a people-oriented world, they are not comfortable with objective judgments which do not consider people issues. Consequently, ENFJs are not likely to have close friendships with strong Thinking types. They will be likely to especially enjoy the company of other iNtuitive Feelers, as well as Sensing Judgers. [source]
Awwww, that's why we all get along.

------
Why, in this age of “I have to take my dog to the vet” and “my child has a cough,” can’t we single people have an excuse to take a much-needed day off? “Calling in single” should be lauded. After all, as my roommate (Ms. Casual) points out on her blog:

miss casual asked why you can't just call in single now and again: you're out on a schoolnight, talking to the boys and you don't have plans to head home in time for sufficient beauty rest - why not? how do you move down the path towards maternity leave without a little single leave now and then? it's amazing that we're still fighting this kind of injustice in the 21st century.

That goes along with my reasoning that us single people are discriminated against. Take my friends who are getting married, for example. Showered with presents of expensive steak knives and CuisineArt blenders, they bask in the loot accumulated through an arbitrary stroke of luck that let them meet their Life Partner in their early 20s. Should people like me be forced to use crappy knives from IKEA, simply because we haven’t found Mr. Right? Fie, I say, fie! Everyone should have a shower thrown in their honor when they move into their first post-college apartment Out will come the designer vacuum cleaners, the beautiful stemware, all to be cherished and used for the next decade (or longer) till Prince Charming comes by. Since I’ll likely be too immature for marriage till I hit 35, I will be forced to buy household items piecemeal for the next decade, finally amassing three plates from Crate & Barrel only to find that they’ve discontinued the line by the time I can afford Plate #4. This, my friends, is what happens to us singles.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At July 28, 2006 7:26 AM, Blogger M. Gants v4.0 said...

I think you could write a book about having a very full social calender in Chicago on a tight budget. Maybe you'll get lucky. Seriously though, you come up with some good stuff pretty frequently.

And that "calling in single" thing - yeah, a round of high-fives is in order for that idea.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home